Coastal Flavor – West Indies Salad
When we call this a local coastal recipe, we mean it! The recipe we are sharing today originated just across Mobile Bay. Created by Bill Bayley, the owner of Bayley’s Restaurant just south of Mobile, this special treat is like no other.
We’re going to share the original Mr. Bayley’s recipe (handed down and shared so this is as close as you’ll come)!
1 pound lump crab meat
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup cider vinegar
½ cup of vegetable oil
½ cup of cold water
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1. You’ll want to start by tossing in half of the chopped onion to line the bottom of your large mixing bowl.
2. Add your cooked crab meat and top with the remaining chopped onion.
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
4. Add wet ingredients: oil, vinegar, and water (in that order) over crabmeat mixture. (DO NOT STIR!)
5. Cover and chill 2-12 hours. (the longer the better)
6. Toss lightly and serve!
This easy and tasty recipe is sure to delight any seafood lover that graces your doorway! You’ve just become a bonified chef! Enjoy!